Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tutorial: Home Made Maternity Pants

I am in that weird stage of pregnancy right now.  I either have to use a rubber band to hold my pants together, or wear maternity pants that are a tad too big.  In my first and second pregnancies I wore my regular pants through the ENTIRE PREGNANCY.  But, now I am 30, and I am chasing around 3 other children and I just want to be comfy!  Light-bulb thought!  Why not just make some in-between pants out of ones I already own?  It gives me a great excuse to buy new pants later!  

Here is a nifty little Home Made Maternity Pants Tutorial!

What you need:
A pair of low-rise jeans (or shorts, or pants) with some stretch!
A sewing Machine
And old T-shirt

Step 1: Cut your jeans!
Lay your jeans flat.  Cut the top tab part of your jeans all the way around.
I also removed belt loops and any rivets that I wanted to be careful not to sew through.
The front of the jeans should be lower than the back by a few inches.

Step 2:  Cut out your zipper.  Tack down the pockets, and sew the fly shut.





Step 3: Cut your T-shirt!
I cut my t-shirt just below the arm pits, and a few inches up from the bottom.
The total length of my soon-to-be tummy band was about 15 inches.

Step 4: Fold your belly band in half.
Keep the finished hem on the outside, and place the unfinished edges together.


Step 5: Scoot your Belly Band over your jeans.  
Match the unfinished edges at the top with the unfinished edges of your jeans.
Line up your side seams of your shirt with the side seams of your pants and pin.


Step 6: Zig Zag Stitch your Belly Band to your jeans!
I kept my stitch tall and wide for extra stretch.

I actually got paranoid that I might bust a stitch or two as my belly grows,
so I went ahead and added a second row of stitching.

Step 7: Flip that Belly Band up and admire your work!
Then try them on!

Keep your new comfy Belly Band up...

Or you can fold it down...

These pictures are me at 12 weeks pregnant with baby number 4.
Any guesses on how much I will gain this time around?
Please send good Karma!!!

Cheers, 


5 comments:

Kylie said...

You got all the talent. You are amazing. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

You have the cutest tiny belly. I'm sending good Karma, but I may also drop off some caramel popcorn...

M.M.M. said...

That is ingenius.

Haljine said...

look very nice and cute

KT Photography said...

Great idea!!!

Julie said...

Brilliant!! ....ok, which pants should I cut up... my tummy looks almost the same right now! Hoping to find out what we're having next week! :)